Botox


This is brief but I wanted to write it while I had it in mind!

As long as I've been explaining things, see previous post, I've realized that when I tell people I'm getting Botox for my migraines they might think I'm just getting a few shots in my forehead and that it was a benefit to me in many ways. I thought maybe I ought to clear up these misconceptions.

The above photo is the injection protocol equaling 31 shots but your doctor can add up to 45 shots. I received "extra" shots last visit and I'm not really sure what that means in terms of number of shots but it felt like a lot!

You may not realize it but these little injections hurt quite a bit, and it's a long injection. If I already have a migraine it's extremely painful and scary. Last time I told my doctor that it reminded me of this 

I was really surprised she knew who the Borg from Star Trek were, so now I get a shot prior to the injections called Torodol. It's an anti inflammatory used for pain relief, primarily for migraine suffers and you can only get it at hospitals.

I used to only feel this Borg attack when I had Botox but ever since my Cryoablation anything coming towards my head, especially a needle scares the crap out of me. I had some acupuncture yesterday and I spent a good deal crying after the head needles went in. Gratefully my practitioner is also a dear friend so I didn't feel like a freak as I had a breakdown on her table.

After I get the Botox shots it takes about two weeks for it to work on my migraines. What does that mean? I wish I knew! Sometimes I've gone a few weeks pain free and other times it just makes my migraines last a day instead of 20 days. Right now it doesn't seem to be working that great.

I'm still getting migraines every other day, they aren't quite as painful, medication isn't working on them, and they aren't lasting as long but my understanding is that this isn't how they should be working but this is better than nothing.

Yes, if you suffer from chronic migraines and cluster headaches you too can hope for something terrible but not as terrible as it was. Forgive me if I sound less than cheerful about my diminishing Botox odds.

Should you try getting it for your migraines? Yes! Absolutely, once again you should try everything and anything you have available to you. Do your research and be informed on what treatments are out there for you.

As a brief follow up to my friends and family, I will be admitted into Stanford Hospital for a two day stay for the IV Infusion treatment in August. I will keep you posted.

Comments